Saturday, September 27, 2008

Response to Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

I was getting pretty teary during this movie. Especially after going through a recent break up, I wanted to burst out in tears. But on the brighter side, I really enjoyed this movie and I’m really glad that we watched it in class.

As nice as it would be to erase someone or something from your mind, I do not think that it would be best in the long run. At first Joel and Clementine were eager to forget about one another, understandably after a painful break up. But then Joel realized that he regretted this rash decision. I strongly believe in fate and do not think that humans can change a path that has already been chosen for them. Even though both Joel and Clementine had the erasing procedure done, they still happened to find each other and reunite. So I guess my point is that sometimes the idea of erasing a painful memory or person may sound good at the time, but in the long run it will only cause more turmoil and confusion. Joel and Clementine found one another in the end and had no idea why they had tapes of saying bad things about one another. As much as being hurt sucks, the ways we deal with painful situations help to make us who we are today. Everything is a learning experience and we grow from these. I think I have matured in many ways by dealing with painful situations and without these no lessons would have been learned. So even if it were possible to fully erase people, I think this would be detrimental because you wouldn’t learn anything from your past mistakes.

Along with the idea of painful relationships, these are also the most fun and rewarding relationships. It is really a love hate cliché type of thing. The people that I have dated and really have loved are also the people that I can truly say I hate at times. I think this also applies to families. Nobody has a perfect family life and families often fight because they care so much about one another. The people that you care about the most in life are also the people that you fight with because you are so passionate about that person. Dealing with my ex boyfriend I always questioned how I could love and hate someone so much at the same time? It’s really a strange feeling at times.

As we saw in the movie, I do not think that it would be possible to fully erase someone or something from your memory. Joel and Clementine seemed to remember one another or have experienced strange sensations of which they did not understand. If you want to erase someone from your memory, it would generally be a person that you deeply cared for, and I do not think it would be possible to erase someone that you cared so much about from your life. You may forget about them existing, but find yourself acting strange about certain things. For instance Clementine acted strange when Patrick was acting like Joel, she knew that something was not right. There will always be something missing when you try to get rid of an important part of your life.

If someone offered me the ability to get rid of my ex boyfriend from my memory I probably would seriously consider it. It sounds like a tempting offer, but I know in the long run it would just cause me more problems and hold me back from learning value lessons to help me in the future…

No comments: